ONE BIG THING PROGRAM
Unlock potential and build the life you want.
Most people know what they need to do to raise their game – to reach their bigger goals. What most do not know is why they resist doing what they know they ought to do.
A 2006 study conducted at Duke University reported that over 40% of our daily behaviors are habitual, or done without thinking. We resist making the changes we genuinely want to see in our lives because behavioral routines and habits are triggered within our unconscious mind. This simple, yet complex insight is at the heart of our approach.
The science of habit change has exploded into a major field of study – both academically and corporately. Habits are now known to be significant drivers that shape our lives. Habits are so strong they cause our brains to cling to them at the exclusion of all else, including common sense. The price we unknowingly pay for our habits can be huge. Currencies of payment include: relationships, happiness, and health. Yet new habits can be deliberately designed and old ones changed or eliminated.
Cracking the Code
With 30 years of research behind them, Harvard University Professors Kegan and Lahey are credited with “cracking the code” on how to rewire the habits which keep us anchored in old ways. A phenomenon called the Immunity to Change™.
Our approach uses the principles of the Immunity to Change™ (ITC) process and expands on it using emerging findings from the field of Neuroscience and Systems Thinking. We don’t just talk about these concepts, we coach you to actively apply it on the daily issues that matter most. You build “mental muscle” to unlock potential. Because the process is grounded in science, we guarantee results.
5 Predictable Phases
Transformation follows a predictable pattern...
1. FIND GAP: A focus for improvement is identified – this is your One Big Thing (OBT); an improvement that deeply matters. From this focus a performance gap is defined. Diagnosing the size and nature of your performance gap is vital because it enables you to gain perspective on the habits that obstruct your progress and efforts to improve.
2. MAP GAP: Next you map the inner game that keeps these obstructive habits alive. The inner game drives the outer game – the obstructive habits – but it is invisible. Mapping is like taking an X-ray of the habits you want to change. The map reveals blind spots, exposes triggers and surfaces patterns of thought keeping the habits alive. Now the real work can begin.
3. DISCOVER LIMITS: Finding the limitations of the current mental map and inner game is a prerequisite for lasting change. With the edges identified and a growing capability to “see” the limitations of the inner game, a deep understanding is achieved. You now know what drives these habits and most importantly, why.
4. TEST LIMITS: The inner game is now transforming – old habits being deactivated and simultaneously new neuropathways being created. This phase involves an iterative process of testing the underlying limiting belief(s). As your limiting beliefs are shaken up and fall away, the old habits lose their grip. Your performance gap begins to close.
5. NEW MAP: With each round of testing, old habits fade. New habits emerge. You are self-authoring new mental maps. You consciously choose an inner game and build new habits consistent with your improvement goal and that serve you in living and leading the life you want.
1. ASSESSMENT (Optional): We use a 360-degree feedback tool which integrates leading research from the fields of Leadership, Psychology, and Adult Development, and is thoroughly and independently validated.
2. ONE BIG THING – LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PLAN: Using inputs from the assessment, each participant comes up with their unique One Big Thing (OBT).
3. OBT WORKSHOP: Participants learn the basics of Neuroscience 101 and follow Kegan and Lahey’s Immunity to Change™ to map their inner game.
4. EXECUTIVE COACHING: One-to-one coaching sessions with a certified ITC Executive Coach.
5. GROUP FORUMS: Equivalent to a week-long University Executive Program but with a few important differences. The learning is distributed over time in a series of six forums, each 4 hours in length. Participants come together in a group coaching format in which ITC Exercises™ are introduced, participant progress is reviewed, successes are shared, and new insights and distinctions are made.
6. PEER COACHING: Each participant works with a peer to complete specific exercises to build new habits and the desired mental muscle.
7. HOMEWORK: Consists of a combination of assessment resources, ITC Exercises, articles, book chapters and videos.
This program is ideal for both formal and informal leaders who aspire to see change and improvements in their organization and the systems in which they operate.
Our next open enrollment program launches in October 2016. In order for participants to complete the full 5 phases, participants must be committed to the one-on-one coaching sessions, group sessions and peer coaching sessions.
Nicola Wealth Management Boardroom, 1508 West Broadway, 5th floor, Vancouver, BC
$7,500 per participant + GST = $7,875
We intentionally keep cohorts small (15 participants) to maximize active learning opportunities. Early registration is recommended (60 days prior to program start date).
Payments are not processed through the Wray Group website. After submitting this form, one of our coaches will visit with you to answer any questions, learn about the improvement goal you are thinking about and to confirm the program is a good match for you. If it is we will supply an invoice with payment instructions.